Comprehensive Guide to Writing a Winning Research Paper on Immigration
July 16, 2020
One of the hot button issues in the globe today is immigration. On July 5th, 2019, people all over the globe were angered by images of an infant being separated from her mother by Border Patrol police in the US-Mexico border. However, it is not just the US-Mexico border that has the problem of immigration. From Africans trying to cross to Europe via the Mediterranean Sea in makeshift boats to refugees freeing war-torn Middle East countries, the problem of immigration appears to have no end.
To assess students’ understanding of current affairs and global problems, most lecturers in colleges, at some point, ask their students to write a research paper on immigration. Notably, most students find writing this type of paper an uphill task, but we are here to help. This post is a comprehensive guide on how to write a research paper on immigration.
Select a Good Title for Your Research Paper on Immigration
When your professor asks you to write an essay on immigration, he/she may give you the topic to work on. However, you need to pick one on your own if the titles are not provided. Make sure to identify a topic that is interesting, and that has ample resources to help you complete the work effectively. Here are some great research paper topics on immigration in America, Europe, and around the globe.
- Do illegal immigrants in the US deserve civil rights?
- Comparing illegal immigration to the US and Europe.
- Illegal immigration: What are the impacts in the society?
- Compare the immigration policy of the United States and Canada.
- Are illegal immigrants good or bad for the US Economy?
Study Your Topic and Craft a Thesis for Your Research Paper on Immigration
Depending on the topic you select, it is important to study it widely, ensuring to identify the key points that will form the basis of your paper. When analyzing the selected topic, make sure also to develop a powerful thesis about your paper. The thesis you adopt will be your stand and evident in the entire paper. Here are some examples of good thesis statements when writing research papers on immigration.
- “Migrant workers have played an important role in the history of the United States, so they should not be treated as undeserving persons.”
- “In light of the escalating immigration problem in Europe, the primary focus should be on universal human rights and respect for human dignity.”
Develop and Use a Good Outline for Your Essay on Immigration Research Paper
Whether you are working on a research paper on illegal immigration, policy on immigration, human rights for immigrants, or other topics, it is important to start by developing a good format or outline. The outline tells you what to discuss at different stages of the essay. Here is a sample outline that you can use to craft a winning research paper on immigration:
- Introduction: This is the first section after the paper title, and you should use it to set the stage for the entire paper. So, open the essay with a strong hook statement, and capture the background of the study. You should also highlight the thesis statement, and tell the reader what to expect in the research paper.
- Body: In the body of the paper, you should discuss the main points about the topic of interest. Make sure that every point is discussed in its own paragraph and use evidence, such as quotes and statistics, to support your argument. To make your essay sound more professional, you should also bring out counterarguments.
- Conclusion: The conclusion is the last part of your research paper on immigration and should be used to wrap up your key points. Start by restating the thesis statement (of course, using different words to avoid sounding repetitive) and summarizing the main points in one or two paragraphs. Note that you should not introduce new points when writing the conclusion of your paper. However, you can call for further studies if you found gaps in the current literature on immigration.
Special Tips for Writing a Great Research Paper on Illegal Immigration
To make your research paper on immigration reforms or other topics earn you more marks, the most important tip is following your professor’s instructions. For example, you should stick to the teacher’s guideline on the right research paper length and formatting. Here are other tips to consider.
- Make sure to identify and work on a topic that is interesting to avoid getting bored midway.
- Use excellent secondary resources to support your arguments when writing the paper. The best resources are those published within the last five years.
- Start by writing a draft before refining it to create the final copy.
- If you find writing the paper challenging, consider seeking help from a writing professional.
When you are faced with the task of writing a research paper on immigration, this guide is all that you need to rake high marks. Make sure to select a topic that is interesting, follow the outline we have discussed above, and ensure your points are flowing well from the beginning to the end.
Take a break from writing.
Top academic experts are here for you.